Our friends at VisitPhilly.com pulled together this lineup of some of the most exclusive experiences in Philly hotels. I’m personally using this as a wish list for 2018.
Posh penthouses with personal dining rooms, on-trend lofts that feel like home (only better), exclusive elevators, spectacular skyline views, marble baths, invisible concierges and plush bathrobes are part and parcel of Philadelphia’s most splurge-worthy overnight experiences. And with the variety and caliber of hotels here increasing—look for the opening of the Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia high atop the Comcast Technology Center in 2018—so have the offerings and amenities available at the city’s chicest accommodations. For access to many of these luxe spaces—along with more conventional options—book the Visit Philly Overnight Hotel Package, which comes with free parking and other VIP perks. (Hotels marked with an asterisk offer the package).
Rittenhouse Square & Logan Square:
1. *AKA Rittenhouse Square – Spread over three full floors, the sleek, two-room penthouse suite of AKA Rittenhouse has distinctive, modern polish. White tones throughout the 1,600-square-foot space create a clean look, while an expansive kitchen features Calacatta Gold quartz countertops. The hotel has quite the location, too: right at the entrance of Rittenhouse Square and above critically acclaimed a.kitchen + bar.
2. *Hotel Palomar Philadelphia – In Hotel Palomar’s Presidential Suite, guests can unwind in the king canopy bed or opt for the gigantic Fuji soaking tub with spectacular city views. In the mood to entertain? The parlor room’s dining table is designed for six. Pets are welcome with no added cost.
3. No. 108 at The Touraine – Philadelphia’s newest apartment-style getaway is a colorful, comfortable one-bedroom suite on the first floor of the historic Touraine building. Available for up to two nights, the pet-friendly No. 108 includes access to the onsite gym, yoga room and 24/7 concierge service, along with bookshelves and closets filled with toys, games, books and a pack ’n play. Right next door, guests can get pour-overs from Rival Bros. Coffee.
4. Rittenhouse 1715, A Boutique Hotel – On a quiet side street, this boutique hotel feels reminiscent of a bed and breakfast, thanks to its European breakfasts and nightly wine receptions—both complimentary. The two-level Presidential Suite here has a cozy fireplace, 57-inch plasma TV, Grohe waterfall shower and spiral staircase leading to the plush king bed.
5. *The Logan – What could be grander than having a baby grand to play during a hotel stay? Along with this notable furnishing, The Logan’s 2,500-square-feet Presidential Suite comes with a king bed, Jacuzzi soaking tub, dining area for six, second half-bathroom and private balcony overlooking the Benjamin Franklin Parkway’s Swann Fountain. For additional majestic views, the onsite Assembly Rooftop Lounge offers handcrafted cocktails and ultra-modern vibes.
6. *The Rittenhouse Hotel – This frequent recipient of accolades from industry experts at AAA and Travel and Leisure recently added a 15,000-square-foot spa dedicated to beauty, wellness and dream-fulfilling relaxation. In The Rittenhouse property’s signature suite, the level of luxury only grows, thanks to prime views of the hotel’s namesake square, two-and-a-half marble bathrooms and full kitchen.
7. *The Ritz-Carlton – Guests take their own personal elevator to the top floor to step into the Ritz-Carlton Philadelphia’s paradisiacal accommodations, the pinnacle of the hotel’s Club Lounge level, with its impeccable service and full complement of food and beverages. Spacious enough to sleep six guests, the suite has two bedrooms, each with a king bed. Individual living, dining and even bathroom spaces offer eye-to-eye views of William Penn atop City Hall.
8. ROOST Apartment Hotel Midtown – In the center of Center City, ROOST combines the services of a boutique hotel with the longer-term amenities of a luxury apartment. Each modern unit features a full-size kitchen, walk-in rainfall shower and king bed, and comes with convenient local essentials such as a bike share membership and dog-walking services.
9. ROOST Apartment Hotel Rittenhouse – ROOST’s Rittenhouse sibling features 27 luxury apartment-style units that include all of the above amenities in the heart of one of Philly’s most popular neighborhoods, with its dozens of independent and international shops, restaurants, bars and more.
10. *Sofitel Philadelphia – The elegant, pet-friendly Sofitel merges French flair with American style. The Prestigious Suite includes a comfort-crafted king bed, marble bathroom, LCD TV and city views from its prime Rittenhouse location.
Historic District & Washington Square West:
11. AKA Washington Square – The penthouses at AKA Washington Square set the bar high with excellent city and park views. Like AKA’s other penthouses, the luxe accommodations include cutting-edge kitchens, multiple rooms for entertaining and marble-finished baths. Another benefit: its location—just two blocks from Independence Hall.
12. *Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia – The name of Hotel Monaco’s uppermost suite says it all In their Majestic Suite, guests can enjoy 180-degree views of Independence National Historical Park from the 10th-floor space. Other amenities: a dining area that seats eight, complimentary bikes and yoga mats and a vintage soaking tub.
13. The Lokal Hotel – Design group Jersey Ice Cream Co., known for their rustic, modern style, crafted the six lofts in this cool addition to Old City. Each airy apartment has vintage furnishings, a stocked kitchen (outfitted with locally made ceramics) and other little details that make guests feel right at home. The hotel’s innovative “invisible service” anticipates the needs of the traveler: Guests receive an automated coded check-in and in-room iPads with multiple service-driven apps for meal and grocery delivery and more.
14. *Morris House Hotel – The Presidential Suite of this National Historic Landmark, a private residence when it was built in 1787, offers historic elegance. The living room’s spiral staircase leads to a master bedroom, where French doors open to a balcony overlooking a serene courtyard that’s a garden by day and outdoor dining space by night, weather permitting.
15. *AKA University City – These light-filled West Philadelphia penthouse suites welcome guests with high ceilings, open kitchens and prime views of the city. Each of the three possible options—studio, one-bedroom suite or two-bedroom suite—is outfitted with a spa-like marble bath, king bed and Italian-inspired accents. Beyond the suite, guests can enjoy the property’s glassed-in, rooftop Olympic-size pool, 3D golf simulator, roof deck with fire pits and access to Cira Green, another rooftop space—this one, a 1.25-acre park. The acclaimed all-day Walnut Street Café resides on the ground floor.
16. *The Study at University City – Angled evenly between Drexel University and the University of Pennsylvania, this handsome, bookish, contemporary boutique hotel offers stunning city views from its Presidential Suite. A plush king bed and oversize soaking tub outfit the bright, handsome space—the perfect spot to impress on a homecoming or parents’ weekend.
17. Hotel at Wm. Mulherin’s Sons – Each of the four moody rooms in this former Fishtown distillery offers its guests a sense of personalized uniqueness. In room three, this means custom wallpaper; in room four, a clawfoot tub. Other amenities include full kitchenettes, laundry, king bed, original artwork, vintage rugs, live plants and exposed brick. Sweetening the deal, the hotel sits above its namesake restaurant, where the Italian cuisine continues to score national attention.